Week 7b: Friday, 24 October 2014

Movie: The Ron Clark Story

The movie will be discussed in class on Monday, 27 October.

 

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

  • This reply was deleted.
    • Thanks for the comment, Li Yaze. Yes, truly an outstanding teacher. And apart from that, an honest one too! I was also very impressed by the good principles he's displayed; absolute a man of integrity and one a person could trust. His students noticed that and that's why they started loving and respecting him, and I think they did their best just for him. I'm glad you learned something from that event where he started winning their trust with the boxes of milk he drank while teaching grammar. If one says one thing, one must stand by that word and not do another thing - in the west we call that integrity (of course it is just plain honesty!). But it is a good habit to learn from another! ;-)

  • This reply was deleted.
    • Wow Zhu Qianfeng, did Mr Clark made such a great impression on you?! Of course we can all agree with you that he was really a wonderful teacher. Oh, and don't feel shy about the tears; it's quite human to show emotions through tears (it is abnormal not to show emotions!). :)

  • This reply was deleted.
    • Thank you for the comment, Sun Huanmeng. I agree with your sentiments about Mr Clark; what a great teacher! Seeing that you gave quite a lengthy comment, you don't have to comment again at tomorrow's lesson (week 8a); but you can decide about that! :)

  • This reply was deleted.
    • Yes, I also think it is a great movie, Wang Xiaoxu. Don't forget to leave your comment on tomorrow's lesson (week 8a) and you may answer the questions I asked there. :)

  • This reply was deleted.
    • I'm glad you enjoyed the movie, Kay (that was what I thought!). Yes, one can't help shedding some tears when movies are so touching. I am glad I am a foreigner who were not brought up and taught that men/boys don't show emotions (a lie, I believe)! But, Mr Clark then didn't stop here. He went on to found the Ron Clark Academy for students from poor and disfunctional families like those students he had. It still operates today in the US. Yes, a great (true) story of humanity at its best, with kindness, mercy and love toward ones fellowman featuring strongly. This is how life was designed to be.

  • This reply was deleted.
    • Ying Haiyang, this comment of yours should actually have been on the page for the next lesson (Week 8a, Monday), but now that it's here, you don't have to do another one (if you prefer not to). Yes, an outstanding movie to me too. The teacher had the right attitude toward students. Many of us teachers fall short if we would risk to compare ourselves with Mr Clark. And after his successes at school, he opened the Ron Clark Academy for such school children who come from poor families and disfunctional families and that Academy still operates today in the US.

  • This reply was deleted.
    • Lu Wenjun, what do you mean by the teacher being so hard?! He wasn't "hard", he had lots of compassion on his students and I think he loved them much!

  • This reply was deleted.
    • Haha, Katherine

  • This reply was deleted.
    • Katherine, if you 'heard' this movie before, it means somebody told you about it! Then it is still not your own experience! But now, after you WATCHED the movie with your class, I guess you can now give your own opinion, right?! ;-)

  • This reply was deleted.
    • Yes Sun Huanmeng, the browsers are driving me crazy! I am now using Firefox as my PC doesn't want to change to IE again. So far it looks good. I hope I will not be disappointed again!

This reply was deleted.